I first saw him when he was looking out for his colleague to park a mini van on the walking lane around the park outside my apartment. I remember having tried to guess what on earth the two tried to do with a parked van on a tiny lane edging a lake. I could have never guessed that they were to build a lake house. It had taken me weeks before my curiosity won over my timidity and I asked him what was that they were building on the lake. He said it would be used as an art gallery. Over the water, the house looked like a giant toy model erected casually on a rough rocky base. Because I didn’t really see a fine finish, the idea of an art gallery was rather intriguing. On the opening day, there was an opera performance on the lake. I didn’t join the crowd gathering at the dock. We opened our window to sink in the singer’s powerful voice, and looked out from our living room now and then. I saw him having changed into suit and tie. By then, I had got familiar with him coming in and out of the lake house quietly and diligently on his light brown jumpsuit. The crowd and the ties were just strange. I felt like some invaders had came into my favourite peaceful view. But the crowd only stayed for a good part of an afternoon. So did the suit. He came back on light brown and rowed a floaty thing out to work on the house. I haven’t talked to him again, but I like seeing his touches on my new favourite art gallery, the one I only like to look from far away.
My name is Quynh, and I blog for fun and for profit. Check out my writing services at quynh.nl. See you there!
A self-portrait poem
An insomniac who writes
I crave for the peace of mind
Wandering in sleepless nights?
Do come to say Hi
- Easy-Peasy Spring Onion
- Growing Chillis Up North: Success and Failure
- Grow Basil, Make Pesto, and More
- The Joy (and Benefits) of Growing Bee-Friendly Flowers
- How to Care for Cherry Tomatoes from Your Balcony
- Growing Coriander in Pots: The Fun and the Rewards
- The Other Wedding Tale
- Over the Edge
- Gili Trawangan: A morning run
- Java Part 1: cities
- Getting Married
- Stop Wasting Food: Starting with Ingredients
- The wind and a dream
- Stop Stereotyping Me: I am not Chinese
- If You Drink The Water and Breathe The Air, This is About You.”
- Never Miss a Memory
- The Permission to Quit
- Trivia No. 5
- Trivia No.4.
- Trivia No.3
- Trivia No. 2
- Trivia No1.
- Why are you angry?
- What I think about and don’t think about when I am running
- Why I love trains
- Four things I’ve learnt about honey bees
- The 7 Reasons To Learn Dutch Even If You Live In Amsterdam
- Berlin: ” It’s for me”
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets